Garden Presentations and Bulb Hunting Adventures!
Chris Wiesinger, The Bulb Hunter, is available for speaking engagements. If you are interested in booking Chris for your event, please contact us.
“Mr. Wiesinger makes a living finding pretty things in ravaged places. In 2004 he started the Southern Bulb Company with the aim of reintroducing flowers long out of vogue, committing himself exclusively to those that have ably asserted themselves against the particular cruelties of exceedingly hot weather for decades, even centuries.”
– New York Times
Since the New York Times story of his life as a bulb collector and farmer, Chris has been known nationally as “The Bulb Hunter.” What started as a personal passion and college project turned into a lifestyle and profitable business. In addition to running his business, he has gained attention for his motivational, educational and entertaining speeches on the challenges of small business life and the passion of reclaiming heirloom flower bulbs that had once fallen out of fashion and off the market.
Presented to over 100 garden clubs and groups, including:
- North American Flowerbulb Wholesalers Association – February 2009
- Perennial Plant Association – Atlanta, GA, October 2008
- Cemetery Preservation Workshop – National Park Service, LA, September 2008
- Founders Garden Club – Dallas, TX, March 2008
- AllBusiness.com Interview – Spring 2008
- Martha Stewart Radio – Spring 2007
- Potomac Chapter of National Rock Garden Society –Washington DC, January 2007
- American Museum Society – Houston, TX, November 2006
- Peckerwood Garden Conservation Foundation – Hempstead, TX, November 2006
- Antique Rose Emporium – Independence, TX, November 2006
- Oktober Gartenfest Garden Symposium – Round Top, TX, October 2006
If Chris is coming to speak to your group, or in your area, download his speaking poster (PDF) to help promote the event.
- Heirloom Bulbs for Today
– Bright Sky Press (Fall 2010)
All the botanical treasures of Chris’ adventure, in one beautifully illustrated book. Co-Author Cherie Colburn. Illustrated by Loela Barry. Read more or purchase this book.
- The Bulb Hunter – Texas A&M University Press (Fall 2011)
The story of The Bulb Hunter, adventures from the road, life in the cabin, and the bulbs that have accompanied him along the way. Co-Author Dr. William Welch.
Over 2 Dozen Publications Nationwide, including:
- House and Garden Magazine 2005 “Top 50 Tastemaker” (April 2005)
- New York Times feature story “The Bulb Hunter” (July 6, 2006)
- Southern Living Feature Article (March 2008)
- Southern Living “Plant Bulbs Now” (October 2009)
What Clients Say
Chris, we all loved your presentation yesterday at the Jesse Allen Wise Garden Club. Thank you for coming soooo much.
Meriam Blair, Jesse Allen Wide Garden Club
Chris, it was great to finally meet you yesterday and you gave a wonderful presentation. Everyone was excited about the bulbs you brought too. On behalf of gardeners in the Highlands and myself, I want to say a big THANK YOU.
Christine Graff, Program Chair, Arizona State Master Gardener Conference
Chris, heard your presentation tonight at the Cain Center. Brought three friends with me. They loved the program, but especially enjoyed hearing you speak and seeing the slide show. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for what you do. The Gladolia I ordered from you has it’s buds on it now…I can’t wait for it to bloom.
Mary Devore, Henderson County Master Gardener
Dear Chris, it was GREAT to see you Saturday. Everyone loved your presentation and we had several people come back today to buy more.
Talk to you soon,
Beverly Welch, Owner of The Arbor Gate, Houston, TX
Your program was wonderful; we were all enchanted with your presentation. Take care and thanks.
Mary Anne, Brazos County Master Gardeners
Chris, My phone has been ringing all day with calls about how informative, witty, and simply “fun” your program was! … Thanks again outstanding presentation and sharing your enthusiasm with us.
Susan, Program Chairman, Monroe Garden Club
If you are interested in booking Chris for your event, please contact us.