Welcome to The Bulb Hunter blog. This is where we write about all of the exciting ways flower bulbs can brighten your life and your garden. From heirlooms, to natives, to perennials, to annuals…bulbs have a place in your garden and your life.
My story: My passion for flower bulbs began as a child with a red tulip. That vibrant first bloom from something brown that looked like a rock excited in me a passion for flower bulbs! The next year, foliage came up, but no bloom. The year after that, nothing came up. I dug down into the dirt to find the rotted remains of my precious red tulip. I was horticulturally scarred at a young age! What had I done to kill my tulip. I wanted a flower bulb that would come back every year. Little did I know, my quest for perennial flower bulbs would lead me on a hunt for heirloom flower bulbs on old abandoned homesites.
Here’s the deal: With almost 20 years of collecting bulbs, I’ve come to love all bulbs…from forced bulbs in pots for celebrations, so cut flowers for weddings. But my passion is for perennial garden bulbs in YOUR climate.
- These bulbs will be like old friends that pop back into your life, and you’ll always be glad to see them.
- These bulbs will leave a legacy for your children and your children’s children.
- These bulbs are investments for the future of your garden.
- Is the Hippeastrum vittatum an heirloom bulb?Is the Hippeastrum vittatum an heirloom bulb? It is an heirloom bulb. In fact, they’ve been around and documented since the 1800’s. They’ve also been in gardens since the early 1900’s so we’d consider them heirlooms from that standpoint. They are a species bulb, much like the species Narcissus jonquilla which grows in the south… Read more: Is the Hippeastrum vittatum an heirloom bulb?
- The Magic of Flower Bulbs in Florida’s Zone 9bThe Magic of Flower Bulbs in Florida’s Zone 9b We had a customer ask about what to plant in Lake County, Florida, so we decided to make a blog post about it. The lush landscapes of Lake Country, Florida’s zone 9b create the perfect environment for growing an array of stunning flower bulbs. For gardeners… Read more: The Magic of Flower Bulbs in Florida’s Zone 9b
- The Correct Location for The Bulb Hunter BlogA quick overview of The Bulb Hunter Blog and a post to make sure web traffic is directed to the right location!
- Leucojum aestivum “Snowflakes”Snowflakes are widely adapted and great for almost every garden!
- Narcissus incomparabilisThe “Incomparable” daffodil, known scientifically as Narcissus incomparabilis, is an elegant and unparalleled in beauty.