Welcome to The Bulb Hunter blog. This is where we write about all of the exciting ways flower bulbs can brighten your life and your garden. From heirlooms, to natives, to perennials, to annuals…bulbs have a place in your garden and your life.
My story: My passion for flower bulbs began as a child with a red tulip. That vibrant first bloom from something brown that looked like a rock excited in me a passion for flower bulbs! The next year, foliage came up, but no bloom. The year after that, nothing came up. I dug down into the dirt to find the rotted remains of my precious red tulip. I was horticulturally scarred at a young age! What had I done to kill my tulip. I wanted a flower bulb that would come back every year. Little did I know, my quest for perennial flower bulbs would lead me on a hunt for heirloom flower bulbs on old abandoned homesites.
Here’s the deal: With almost 20 years of collecting bulbs, I’ve come to love all bulbs…from forced bulbs in pots for celebrations, so cut flowers for weddings. But my passion is for perennial garden bulbs in YOUR climate.
- These bulbs will be like old friends that pop back into your life, and you’ll always be glad to see them.
- These bulbs will leave a legacy for your children and your children’s children.
- These bulbs are investments for the future of your garden.
- Narcissus tazetta‘Grand Primo’Narcissus tazetta ‘Grand Primo’ are superstars for the garden!
- Brick Patio Garden Bed Makeover Part 4Wrapping up the project and the final costs associated with our landscape renovation and brick patio makeover.
- Planting Tulips in JanuaryThis post offers a basic tutorial on planting tulips for a nice display of color.
- Brick Patio Garden Makeover Update and Chinese Sacred Lilies BloomingAlternate Titles for this Post! As we continue to work through our brick patio garden makeover, we also are starting (middle of December) to have heirloom Chinese sacred lily flower bulbs start blooming! If we were to plug this post into our Landscape Design Series, it would fall somewhere in between our “hidden tasks”, “clean […]
- Forcing Paperwhites in DecemberForcing paperwhites, making gift pots, and finding heriloom paperwhites in an abandoned lot!